Saturday, May 25, 2019

Moonlit Dances

This year I am participating in a flash fiction Dash hosted by Rosalie Valentine over on her blog. Make sure to go check out the wrap-up post on June 11th. There are going to be a lot of great stories there.
I had a lot of fun writing this story. It took me about an hour from the time I got the idea to the time I posted this. I had played around with a few different ideas before and none of them had worked. Then I started writing with no sense of direction and this is what came of it. I hope you like it.
___________________________________
The prompt Rosalie sent.
MOONLIT DANCES, by M. A. Starr.

I close my eyes and listen as the sweet sound of music fills the air. Never have I felt so lost to reality, or so close to nature.
When I open my eyes I am still standing by the laughing brook in the sun filled clearing. The music has stilled for a little while, but I know it will come again. I just have to wait long enough.
 The sky starts to turn gold and then crimson. It casts a rosy light in the clearing. It bounces off the winding brook. It makes my heart sing for joy.
As the last rays of sunlight leave the clearing I look towards the woods and wait. After some time I see them heading this way. I wait a little longer. They have come.
Hundreds of light blue butterflies swarm into the clearing, bringing with them the music I had heard before. They danced around the clearing, bidding welcome to the light of the moon and the stars. It fills my soul with joy and laughter.
I close my eyes again to listen. Slowly, I begin to drift back into the world of tomorrow. I smile as the soft light of the moon fills the clearing with happiness. Then I begin to dance. 

2 comments:

Victoria said...

This is the music I think she is dancing to: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXKf0JEzEA

Bethani Theresa said...

That song is actually perfect for her.